2021 - AVEVA PI World 2021 - Manufacturing; Mining & Metals; Pulp & Paper
Mining responsibly & sustainably: BHP's environmental monitoring solution using PI System & GIS
BHP must demonstrate environmental responsibility by minimizing impacts and contributing to an enduring environmental legacy throughout every stage of its operations. This involves taking a wide range of measurements, identifying trends over time, and raising events if defined tolerances are exceeded.
BHP has used Asset Framework (AF), PI Integrations and developer tools to:
Standardize the storage for environmental data from 35 BHP operational sites across Australia:
- Measurements from 300 devices are loaded via UFL (dust and weather stations, dam loggers, river flow meters, etc.)
- Data from four laboratories (over 11,000 sample points) is loaded via web API
- Data load forms capture inputs for greenhouse gas and water use reporting
Implement standard AF templates defining data structures, calculations and event rules
Enable data to viewed and analyzed:
- Geospatially using the PI Integrator For ESRI/ArcGIS
- Graphically using the PI Integrator for SQL and Spotfire - Trended over time
- Metals Mining & Materials
Richard has 30 year experience in IT across mining and finance sectors.
He has been a solution designer at BHP for 8 years, focusing on personnel management, training, onboarding, site access, health, safety and the environment.
Jennissa Yutraya, Principal MES Solution Engineer at BHP, with nearly 10 years' experience in PI System suite of products. In her current role, she provides technical expertise in a few key projects across Minerals Australia Assets, with the objective of enabling the business to drive operational performance through data insights.
Prior to this role, she worked at OSIsoft for nearly 7 years after graduating with Bachelor of Chemical Engineering degree.