2017 - Users Conference - San Francisco - Facilities, Water and Industry Management
PI System Transforms NIH Central Utilities Plant Operations
The NIH Central Utility Plant (CUP) is one of the most complex and the third largest CUP systems in the USA. The NIH CUP serves over 12.6 million square feet of diverse types of space, including the world’s largest research hospital, including:
• Twelve 5,000 ton chillers consuming over 165,000 MWh of electricity per year, enough to power 100,000 Maryland homes.
• 5 boilers burning over 3 billion cubic feet gas annually.
• One of the most efficient co-generation systems in the world (only 15% of the inputted energy wasted)
Over the past two years, the PI System has allowed system-wide transformation:
• Going from 480 (manually) recorded points per day to over 10.5 million data points from multiple SCADA systems.
• Energy system modeling and energy forecasting
• Predictive as opposed to reactive maintenance allowing CUP to meet strict reliability standards.
• System asset reliability improvement over 50% (based on equipment availability).
- Facilities & Data Centers
Dr. Don Guan is the Utilities Engineering Branch Chief, Division of Technical Resources, National Institutes of Health. Dr. Guan is a Professional Engineer and has more than 20 year experiences on academic research, engineering design, construction management, energy services, system integration, commissioning and central plant optimization.
Mr. Wisehart is currently the Enterprise Asset Management Administrator for NIH Bethesda. Mr. Wisehart was an electrical contractor for over fifteen years, and previously worked in the aviation field where he first picked up his knowledge base of reliable centered maintenance programs. Mr. Wisehart has a bachelor’s degree in aeronautical engineering, and is currently working on his master’s degree.
Mr. Nieves has over 30 years of experience in the operation, maintenance and management of Central Utility and Cogeneration Power Facilities. As Chief of the Utilities Generation Branch Mr Nieves oversees the operation of the 60,000 Ton NIH Central Utility chiller Plant, 800,000 pound per hour NIH Boiler Plant and 23 MW NIH gas turbine cogeneration facility. Mr Nieves manages the day-to-day operation, maintenance, environmental and contractual requirements of these facilities.